Today the sewing machine behaved. And I corrected my quarter-inch guide. Good right? Well, yes, that is good.
I decided to do some test runs of the large ribbon. I created a plastic template from the instructions, and the ribbon was way too small. The instructions said to place the ribbon, sew the square, then trim square to 6.25 inches. Once done there should be an extra .25″ allowance on each side of ribbon. I had an inch. So I reread the instructions, and apparently I was supposed to add an additional quarter-inch seam allowance to the template, and cut an additional eighth-inch away from the edge. Whoops! So I accounted for the extra fabric need, and I got down to .75″ extra allowance. That was after four failed blocks. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. I’m sure it’s something really dumb and obvious. It always is.
At that point, I decided to make my own template. I expanded the ribbon horizontally and added in the seam allowance. Using that template, I’m having much more success.
And then I decided that I was done working on quilt stuff for the weekend. I’m worried I’m going to need to order more fabrics. I have a half yard of extra light fabric coming from fat quarter shop, I definitely don’t need all of it, but I’m not sure it’s going to be enough to cover the loss of four 7″ squares.
Next task is going to be to check the small ribbon template. I know I didn’t account for the extra seam allowance when I created the plastic template, so at the very least I’m going to have to fix that.