So here’s what I’ve been up to in the past 2 weeks. Last weekend I finally said enough’s enough and assigned Rob the manly task of making a solution to mount a mirror on a dresser we have. We got the dresser, the mirror, but not anything to attach the mirror to the dresser. Darned if I know where the originals went. Anyhoo.
This is the dresser:
We took some measurements, made a plan, and went off to Lowes. We bought 1 2x2x8′ post, 2 5/16″ 8″ screws, 2 washers, and some stain I thought would match the dresser’s color. All for under $9.
We ran into some trouble implementing the solution. The back board that the mounts attach to was very warped, and there was no way we’d be able to assemble the thing without help. So, to solve the problem, we took some c-clamps and clamped the leftover 2×2 post to the back of the board to straighten it out. We have left the clamps on, and I have no intention of removing them until around Thanksgiving.
I’m very happy to have the mirror off the ground. It’s really hard to clean up a room when you have this mirror floating around. It’s heavy and fragile. A bad combination. The assembly isn’t perfect, but at least it’s assembled, and I can overlook the imperfections. The color seems to match pretty well. The dresser’s original color was a big richer, shinier, and redder. But you really can’t tell unless you examine the thing from 10″.
In cross stitch land, I’ve been working on the thanksgiving fairy. Since the colors are in much larger, uniform chunks, the stitching is going pretty quickly. I’d be farther along, except that lately I’ve been rather congested and not been up to working on it.